Thursday 21 June 2012

Stealing.

OK, this isn't quite as bad as it sounds.
I am quite an honest person and made it through till now without taking a single thing. Not a penny chew, not an eye liner in my teens, nothing. Now i don't know if its just me, but sometimes when i have items in my hands and no one is around, the thought of 'I could just take this and no one would know', does cross my mind, but obviously i never do.

On this day i was shopping in a large department store, squeezing in a quick shop for my nieces birthday. I had taken far to long to choose a few pieces of jewellery when the fire alarm went off. I was ushered out of the shop and found myself out side, in the cold, gifts in hand.
So i waited.
and waited.
"Sod this, I wont bother."
So i walk towards the door to return the goods back to the shop when this snooty shop assistant locked the door, right in front of me.
 I walk round the outside of the shop to the next door to find the same shop assistant smiling at me in a smug way and lock that door too.
 I do admit, i walked a lot slower to the third and final door, with visions of the jumped up assistant racing her way across the shop to beat me. If I'm honest, in my head I knew what i was going to do. She had beaten me. The door was locked and as i slipped the 'gifts' into my bag i justified my actions by convincing myself i would return to the shop to pay for them later. Of course i never did.

And as i walked away, i knew the time had come to start ticking things off my list.

3 comments:

  1. I like this story, things like this are what make us human and normal. I also like the idea of ticking stuff off on a list, not a like 'bucket' list.
    Most of us can tick off 'stealing' I for sure can.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... a thought just occurred to me, did you give the gifts to your niece and did she hear the whole story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes she did. She was 17 and found the whole story quite amusing. I also found pleasure in informing her she had committed the illegal act of recieving stollen goods.

    ReplyDelete